Dec 16, 2016
Boilermakers build, erect, repair, test and maintain boilers, tanks, pressure vessels, and tightly sealed containers for liquids, gases and powders.
To fabricate and repair these vessels, boilermakers:
- develop a layout and plan the sequence of work
- lay out plate, sheet steel or other heavy metal, and locate and mark bending and cutting lines
- cut metal plate and brackets and chip and grind parts to shape for fitting together
- shape metal using machines such as shears and drill presses
- fit and tack weld parts together
Most boilermakers in the construction industry are involved in building industrial plants such as mills, power generation plants, and oil and gas facilities.
Represented by the following CBTU affiliates:
- International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders, Blacksmiths, Forgers and Helpers